1. News & Issues
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.
Since December 31, 2003 Canadian permanent residents, including children, coming back to Canada by commercial vehicle - plane, boat, train or bus - have needed a Permanent Resident Card to prove their permanent resident status. The cards are issued for five years, or occasionally for only one year. When your card expires you must apply for a new Permanent Resident Card.

Five-year permanent resident cards began expiring in July 2007. If you are a permanent resident and plan to travel outside Canada, you should check the expiry date on your Permanent Resident Card. Be sure to allow enough time for your application for a new card to be processed, and apply at least two months before you plan to leave the country.

More on Immigration to Canada
Immigration to Canada
Canadian Permanent Resident Cards
Check Your Canadian Immigration Status Online


November 5, 2008 at 11:17 pm
(1) Ann McGovern says:

Unfortunately, 2 months is not nearly enough time. I am stuck waiting for a card to be renewed and it looks like i will not be able to take a trip to the US that i have planned at the end of the month.
New arriving immigrants get their NEW cards within 30 days, yet existing ppermanent residents have to wait. Current wait time is listed as 93 days. I mailed mine in end of August and they have not even OPENED it yet and today’s date is November 5th!

November 19, 2008 at 11:17 am
(2) Julie Kim Lyons says:

I am also dismayed that processing times for renewals of permanent resident cards are presently listed at 95 days – that is well over three months!!! My renewal application was received by the 9th of September. My papers have not even been looked at, and it appears processing time will go right into Christmas time before I can even pick up my new card. Meanwhile, my card has expired (October 19).I am virtually ‘stuck’ for travel, I have an 80 year old mother living by herself in Europe who recently fell and injured herself and now I cannot make any concrete travel plans. Very distressing to say the least… New Residents get their PR cards in 30 days!!!…..Is there nothing that can be done to improve the situation? I am sure I am not alone in this!

June 2, 2009 at 10:53 am
(3) Sheila says:

hello – i just want to inquire regarding renewing a permanent resident card. Where can I find the form for renewal?
Thank you for your time.

June 2, 2009 at 11:41 am
(4) Susan Munroe says:


You can download an application kit from the Citizen and Immigration site at

June 27, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(5) Natasha Piper says:

How can I find the status of a renew application? already sent 3 months ago.

June 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm
(6) Susan Munroe says:


You can check on the status of a permanent resident card application renewal using CIC’s Client Application Status service at


June 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm
(7) Natasha Piper says:

Ok. we managed to get through to immigration and that is what we got:
When they say 67 days, this only means 67 days until they_open_ the application!
After that it takes more time that nobody tracks — apparently.

Can’t believe that Canada has such a bureaucracy.

June 29, 2009 at 3:34 pm
(8) Natasha Piper says:

Anywhere to file a complaint about this? We have a passport renewal that depends on the card. No card, no passport, no way to exit the country. Why do immigrants have to be treated like this? Why always any immigration process has to be so humiliating?

July 16, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(9) Garrett says:

When applying to renew my PR Card, Do i have to be in Canada? or could my son send in my application on my behalf assuming i have filled out all the required documentation.

July 31, 2009 at 2:20 am
(10) ayesha says:

my Pr card expired on 5th april 2007 as i had to leave for USA , unfortunately since approximately 2 years they didnot issue me the visa .My husband is in america, i m in pakistan,as my parents are old and there is noone to take care of them. what will be the best option to renew my and my sons PR card.

August 6, 2009 at 2:57 am
(11) ANA says:

I got my PR card in the year 2006 and I lived in Canada for a year. Then I returned to my home country. My PR card expires in 2011, which means that soon I have to return to Canada to complete the two years out of five. Would it be a way I could renew my PR card in 2011 without acomplish being there another extra year?

September 6, 2009 at 7:47 am
(12) Ruth says:

I immigrated to Canada in 1987 and have lived in Canada until 2006. For the last three years I’ve been living in Ireland, but I would like to return to Canada to be close to my kids. My PR card expiried about three month ago. Can I return to Canada and renew my PR card once I’m back? Can I even renew my PR card or have I lost my status all together?

December 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm
(13) Anil says:

I got my PR card in September 2006 and I lived in Canada for a year. Then I returned to my home country. My PR card expires in Sept 2011, which means that soon I have to return to Canada to complete the two years out of five years.What is the correct way I could renew my PR card in 2011 without completing two years?
ii)How much time it takes to renew PR card?
iii)How can I apply for the same?
iv)what documents are needed?
v)Should I have to go and stay there in Canada?
Please guide me as I cannot leave my job and stay in canada for one more year.
Thanks & Regards

January 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm
(14) DON KLINE says:



January 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(15) Barbara says:

Current wait time for renewal is 220 days. And from the look of things right now, it could be longer….

January 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm
(16) Erika H says:

I am a Canadian PR,, My card is about to expire, I lost my job and its been really hard to find one for about 2 years, I am a litle scared that because of that If I renew my PR card it would be denied,, Do i Need to go for an entreview when I renew my PR card???

February 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm
(17) Frustrated. You too? says:

I have no words for this frustrating system, but will try…;
SEVEN MONTHS from today?? Then they will look at it??
what kind of government service is this? …and then this whole renewal process… I do not see how the initial application is any different from a renewal, did we not submit all the same info before? If this is on a computer it should be a very speedy confirmation process. There seems the be a huge wait diffrerence between the two.
I wonder what the hidden government message is to me.
Is it perhaps a plan, so that they tell me to become a citizen this way out of my sheer frustration?
Maybe I should close my business here, leave a few un-employed and set up shop in the country I came from.

March 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(18) Macu says:

I have a friend who is Cuban and whose permanent residency card was taken from him and recently returned to him only to find out that it expired in 2007. Are there any penalties and can he be deported? Will the fact that he is paying his current child support plus arrears from when he became homeless 3 years ago be held against him when he attempts to re-apply for a new card?

April 22, 2011 at 10:25 am
(19) Keith dee says:

Totally agree with “Frustrated” Been in Canada for about 3 years and have found that EVERYTHING is so tied up in red tape, its almost strangled itself. I honestly do not want Canadian citizenship but like most things here, I am having so much trouble in getting a straight answer, especually as to how much it costs to re new. Is it the whole processing fee again, or is it maybe $50? Even the Immigration website is ( as usual in Canada ) vague at best. I too feel like shutting up shop, taking my funds ( Which are not unconsiderable ) and heading back home. Seems thats what this country wants!

May 31, 2011 at 4:20 am
(20) VINOD says:

I got PR card in 2007 which is valid till 2012. After eceiving PR card I came to my country anD nnow I wish to renew my PR card and cards of my family members but 730 days stay is not completed. Pl advise what shoulld I do for renewal of my PR card?

August 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm
(21) Michel says:

Who are these people that want to get permanent residency without staying in Canada, these people slow down the process for the people that really wants to participate in the growth of Canada and have a positive impact. these people only want to abuse the system and get the benefits of the canadian permanent residency status!!!!

August 31, 2011 at 7:27 pm
(22) Charlotte says:

I too would welcome any info on renewing my PR card even though I haven’t been in the country for more than 2 yrs. I’ve only been in Canada for 7 months and my PR card expires in Aug 2012. Please don’t judge me for not moving sooner, there are personal reasons for this!

February 16, 2012 at 3:40 am
(23) Farzan says:

I want to know how long does it take between PR card approval and inviting for piking up the renewed PR card?because I am not in Canada now, it is very important for me to be able to plan my trip.

February 24, 2012 at 11:48 am
(24) kieu van says:

Im just wondering that if i apply for renew PR card which way is faster ?
Could i apply online faster or i download the form from online and mail to the office . The reason i ask because my PR card have 2 months to be expired but im going back to vn in june . Could u tell me the faster way to do please?

July 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm
(25) Afshin says:

I am going to apply for renewing my son `s PR card, because it will be expired in the following months ,my son is 8 yr/o and he isnot in Canada right now. I am wondering that can he send his photos with taken date and photographer confirmation on the back of the photo from outside of Canada to me for submit to immigration office or the photos should be taken in Canada and confirmed by Canadian Photographer?
thank you

July 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm
(26) Igor says:

Hello , i have a question , my Permanent Residents Card expired in 2011 , but i never left Canada . My question is do i re apply for PR or do i just renew my card, did i lose my PR status in Canada in 2011 ? Thanks you

September 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm
(27) phani says:

hi Susan,

I have a question. My and my wife’s PRs are expiring in May 2013. we were not in canada for first 2 years. my wife has already completed her 730 day stipulation. she is currently on mat leave and has a permanent job here. I will be completing my 730 day stipulation by Oct end. we have a travel planned in nov-12 for a month. my question is can we apply for our PR extensions and travel on the current PR card or do we have to surrender the PR card when applying for the new one. Your guidance is highly appreciated.


September 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm
(28) Husain says:

My wife and children are Canadian citizens but I just have a PR card. We all are living outside Canada. Can I renew my PR card (without staying in Canada) because i am with my wife and children living outside Canada?
If they don’t renew it, I will be sponsored again and it is more paper work for them. So do they have an exception?

November 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(29) John says:

(28) Husain says:
My wife and children are Canadian citizens but I just have a PR card. We all are living outside Canada. Can I renew my PR card (without staying in Canada) because i am with my wife and children living outside Canada?
If they donít renew it, I will be sponsored again and it is more paper work for them. So do they have an exception?

Yes, if you are out of the country with your spouse who is a canadian citizen you are still considered to be (in-the-country) for calculation purposes. When you fill out your renewal form there is an area to provide evidence and explain why you are outside the country. You’ll want to include your marriage certificate and her documents proving her citizenship.

January 28, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(30) Tammy says:

Can someone tell me the EXACT total cost to RENEW your PR card? It is due to expire soon and i get so confused with all the mumbo jumbo wording on the online fee payment schedule. Is it just $50 a person? do you have to pay a processing fee or a right to perm res fee again? I hope someone reads this!!!

thank you in advance!

February 18, 2013 at 1:22 am
(31) joselito aquino says:

hi! what can you say to immigrationdirect.ca. i went to their website apply for my permanent resident card and my family. but there was an error occured. thanks.

March 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm
(32) Vitali says:

I applied for PR card renewal in September and in December (same year lol) it was ready.

March 4, 2013 at 8:24 pm
(33) mystiik says:

Hi Vitali,
Can you tell me when you received your client id number after you mailed you application?

April 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm
(34) Shara V says:

Has anyone here applied for a renewal of PR Card before in an urgent process? I was just wondering how long did the “urgent process” take? (You need to purchase a ticket to have this process done). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! I’m just incredibly worried when I’ll receive mine.

May 12, 2013 at 10:22 am
(35) Suzi says:

I lost my wallet inside it all my canadien id and 1000IMM credit card too health card assurance num card and am sick assurance malady ask me any immigration id to renew my health card do it’s urgent to get my permanent resident card immediatly ???

August 22, 2013 at 9:18 am
(36) Doctor M says:

My PR card is expiring on 1st january 2015. Can I apply for the same on January 2014? I mean can I apply for the renewal of the card within 1 year before it expires.?
Please let me know

August 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(37) Susan Munroe says:

To Doctor M

The instruction guide which comes with the Permanent Resident Card Application Package says:

“Do not apply for a renewal of your current PR card if it is still valid for more than six (6) months (180 days), unless it is due to a legal name change. Otherwise, your application will be returned.”

(It’s marked as Important information under the heading Who May Use This application at:

Susan Munroe

September 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm
(38) Farina says:

Hi, I need to appear for the citizenship test and my pr card has been expired and I live in Canada, would it be ok if I appear with expired pr card? I have my landing paper which I will take with me. And also I wanted to know if I could take the oath with expired pr card. thanks

October 2, 2013 at 12:26 am
(39) Sarah says:

Hi, my PR card and British passport have expired. I am wanting to leave the country Feb. 2014. Can I send a copy of my expired British passport with my PR renewal so I don’t have to wait for my new passport to get to me before I can submit my PR renewal. Really hoping I can.

November 12, 2013 at 11:21 am
(40) ANNA says:

i have a complain to make i renewed my card and my husbands card in May 2013 just last week on Nov 8,2013 i contacted govt asking them why it is taking so long for our cards and they said the site i was on he thinks is a scam how can the govt not control a scam for applications and where can i contact for me to get my money back because i was also charged

January 8, 2014 at 8:44 pm
(41) Cate says:

I am somewhat pleased, yet discouraged, to see that I am not the only one disappointed and frustrated with the current Permanent Resident Card renewal system. I have resided in Canada for 40 years and have been a good community member and have contributed to our tax system. Ever since this new Permanent Resident Card process was established I have been inundated with Bureaucratic road-blocks in renewing my card. Even though I was provided a Permanent Resident Card with my Landed Immigrant documentation, when I went to renew they found a discrepancy in the spelling of my middle name on my birth certificate and landed immigrant form (one letter) and therefore required that I re-apply for change in landed immigrant correction and then re-apply for renewal of my Permanent Residence. This has been an on-going battle that takes a ridiculous amount of time and expense. I would apply for Canadian Citizenship status but it’s a catch 22 as you need a Permanent Resident Card first. I wish there was a way that the hard working, tax paying community members of Canada were able to have the same rights as those that we support that come into Canada and just abuse and/or take advantage of the system.

March 24, 2014 at 5:54 pm
(42) Madge says:

I’m trying to renew my PR card which expires in 2 months was wondering if anyone did the urgent renew one if how long it took and the cost can’t seem to find where..plus finding out how to send your application in online?

March 28, 2014 at 11:47 am
(43) Kimberly says:

I applied for a permanent residency card.
I had legally changed my name and sent the application signed my new name and proof of the legal name change done through the Canadian Government. They still sent the card in my old name which i do not want. How do i rectify this situation. It says on my letter to go on this site if there is a mistake but I can not see where i go to address a correction. If you could let me know what to do I would appreciate it.

March 28, 2014 at 1:45 pm
(44) Susan Munroe says:

Hi Kimberly,

Where exactly did the letter tell you to go if there was a mistake? Did they give you a Web address? Right now you are in the Comments section of an old post on the Canada Online site at About.com, which is not a government site.

Susan Munroe

May 12, 2014 at 11:47 am
(45) adelina says:

hello! i’m just wondering how many months more to wait for our renewed PR cards with my husband and 6 kids?we applied or renewed online Last year Dec. 2013 and our PR cards are already been expired last Feb.2014,hope and pray that we have it before July….thank you so much <3

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.