1. News & Issues
Susan Munroe

Stamp Prices Go Up in 2014

By December 30, 2013

The prices of Canadian postage stamps will go up drastically in 2014, as part of Canada Post's action plan to make major changes in the Canadian postal system.

Major Changes in the Canadian Postal System

One thing that has changed already is that the sale of PERMANENT™ stamps, sometimes called "P" stamps, has been suspended temporarily until the new prices kick in. PERMANENT stamps are the ones that don't have a denomination on them, but are accepted at the current basic letter rate. PERMANENT stamps are valid for the current letter rate no matter when you bought them, so you'll still be able to use any you have on hand. You just won't be able to stock up on them to avoid the price hikes coming in 2014.

The actual price changes won't come into effect until March 31, 2014. Pending regulatory approval, those changes include:

• Stamps for regular-sized letter mail weighing up to 30 g currently cost $0.63. As of March 31, stamps for letter mail will cost $0.85 each if they are bought in coils or booklets. If they are bought individually they will cost $1.00 each.
  • Businesses that use postage meters will get a "discounted" commercial rate of $0.75 a letter.

Photo: Justin Sullivan / Getty Images

More on Postage Services in Canada
Postal Codes for Canada
Postal Abbreviations of Canadian Provinces
Shopping Online and Shipping to Canada

Comments

January 24, 2014 at 1:24 am
(1) Ben says:

As of April 1st, Lettermail up to 30 grams to the USA is going up to $1.20
Does that mean I can use one Permanent stamp + 20 cents in extra stamps to mail a letter to the USA (regardless what I may have paid for my permanent stamp)?

February 4, 2014 at 12:57 am
(2) riverbank singapore says:

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for Canada
Post

March 6, 2014 at 1:20 pm
(3) Sheree says:

I’ve just purchased a roll of stamps at Costco, they show .63 in the upper corner instead of the usual P…does this mean I will have to buy 100 stamps to add to them after March 31/14?

March 6, 2014 at 2:23 pm
(4) Susan Munroe says:

Sheree

Ouch! Sorry to say the answer is yes. They stopped selling the Permanent stamps because there was such a long gap before they got approval for such a large price increase. I would have hoped that the clerk would at least point out that the stamps you were buying would only be good for a few weeks.

Susan

March 6, 2014 at 9:18 pm
(5) hark spark says:

Will the International and US rates be going up drastically as well?

March 14, 2014 at 6:56 am
(6) Stacey Maiorana says:

Are you telling me that if I have a roll of PERMANENT STAMPS, that I have to add XX amount of cents in stamps to them? How do I know how much to add, how does CPC know what my permanent non denomination stamp is worth?

March 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm
(7) Susan Munroe says:

Stacey,

If you have a roll of PERMANENT STAMPS you’re okay. PERMANENT STAMPS have either a P or no denomination on them. They are worth the <b>current domestic rate</b>. So no matter when you bought them or what you paid for them they are worth 63 cents today and would be worth 85 cents when the rates go up on March 31, 2014.

The problem is that between late December and the end of March Canada Post suspended the sale of PERMANENT STAMPS because they didn’t want people stocking up on them with such large price increases coming in.

Susan

March 24, 2014 at 12:25 pm
(8) Ruben says:

So will they be selling 22 cent stamps to add to the 63?

April 4, 2014 at 1:40 pm
(9) Heather says:

Well Sheree – if it makes you feel any better, you aren’t alone. I came on this site in search of the same answer to the question you asked. I too am in possession of an entire roll of .63 cent stamps purchased at COSTCO. I guess that’s one way to get you to come back to the store!

April 5, 2014 at 2:43 am
(10) Cindy says:

Canada Post does sell 22 cents stamps to go with the 63 cent stamps. If you came to my post office, I would be happy to just trade stamps, but you would have to pay the extra 22 cents per stamp. That would be much easier. Unfortunately I live in a remote community in the North.

April 14, 2014 at 8:06 pm
(11) Jeff says:

Hello all, I purchased a roll of 100 at Costco on March 14 so that my fiancé and I could send out our wedding invitations. Long story short we had only put ONE 63 cent stamp on the RSVP envelopes not thinking about the change in postage and how it would effect the returning of our invitations. Quite the pickle once we realized this was going to happen. As we were able to send the invitations out approx. on the 26th or 27th of March. Of course by the time our guest received them the postage to return their response would now be inadequate. After a call to Canada Post which I admit ended in some cursing and my hanging up. I was told that It was my fault for not realizing this in the first place. I called Costco Barrie and the manager was great, apologized and offered our money back for the stamps we bought (67.99) or something to that nature. Fast forward to today the 14th of April. We had to put out a noticed on facebook, text msg, email to our guest to inform them of this mistake. I look in the mail box today and there are several RSVPs with only ONE 63 cent stamp? Very confusing. I mentioned to the woman on the phone at Canada Post that I predicted very high call volumes on this issue. Maybe I was right and they decided to honour the 63 cent stamps sold at costco? I know these RSVPs were only mailed back to me within the last week, well after the postage date change and with the 63 cent stamp my fiancé and I put on in the first place. Looks like we will get all of our RSVPs back and all will be good. Good on Costco barrie to give my money back and realize that was an issue and they should have made people aware. There is a chance people that your letters may go through if you have already sent them. If someone has an explanation as to why the 63 cent stamps are still working on their own I would like to know. Cheers Anyway!!

Jeff