If you have paid Canadian Employment Insurance (EI) premiums and are unemployed, you may be able to apply for Canadian Employment Insurance benefits using the EI Online Application from Service Canada.
EI Online Application - Frequently Asked Questions
Before you attempt the EI online application, please read through the Frequently Asked Questions from Service Canada.
EI Online Application - Personal Information
The EI online application takes about 60 minutes to complete, but if you are disconnected during the process, your information will not be saved. Be sure to have all the information you'll need close at hand before you begin the EI online application.
If you do not have all the information listed below, or if you have any questions, then it is better to file your Employment Insurance application in person at the nearest Service Canada office to make sure your Employment Insurance benefits are not delayed.
For the EI online application you will need:
- Your postal code
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Date of birth
- Mother's maiden name
- Address and postal code of residence
- Gross salary - total earnings before deductions including tips and commissions
- Gross salary for your last week of work - from Sunday to your last day of work
- Vacation pay - received or to be received
- Severance pay - received or to be received
- Pension - received or to be received
- Pay in lieu of notice - received or to be received
- Other money - specify
- Name, address, dates of employment and reason for separation for all your employers in the last 52 weeks.
- Dates for the weeks in the last 52 weeks when you did not work, did not receive money and why
- Dates for the weeks (Sunday to Saturday) in the last 52 weeks when you did not work, did not receive moneys and reasons why
- Dates and amounts for weeks in the last 52 weeks when your earnings were less than $225.00 before deductions
- Band number if applying for Status Indian tax exemption
- Banking information to arrange direct deposit of Employment Insurance benefits.
If applying for Employment Insurance parental benefits, you will also need the SIN of the other parent.
If applying for Employment Insurance sickness benefits, you will need your doctor's name, address and telephone number. You may also need your expected date of recovery.
If applying for Employment Insurance compassionate care benefits, you will need information about the ill family member.
Note: When submitting an EI application online, you must also submit the paper copy of your Record of Employment by mail or in person to a Service Canada office as soon as possible.
EI Online Application - Confirmation
Once you submit your EI online application, a confirmation number will be generated. If you do not receive a confirmation number or wish to make changes to your application, do not apply again. Instead, call the following number during regular business hours and press "o" to talk to an agent: 1 (800) 206-7218