Canada's Old Age Security pension is a monthly payment available to most Canadians 65 or older. You must apply to receive benefits.
Time Required: 4 hours
- At least six months before you turn 65, pick up an application kit at a Service Canada office or download the kit in PDF. You can also call 1-800-277-9914 toll-free for an application kit.
- Follow the detailed instructions included with the application kit.
- Get certified copies of all documents required. Take the original documents to a Service Canada office, and staff will copy and certify the documents for free.
- Include certified copies of all required documents with the form.
- Sign and date the application form.
- Include your Social Insurance Number in the space provided on each page of the form.
- Up to 12 months before you turn 65, send the form to your regional Human Resources and Social Development office. The addresses are included in the kit.
- If you have already turned 65, send your application as soon as possible so you don't miss any payments.
- If you have already supplied the documents when applying for a Canada Pension Plan retirement pension, you do not need to supply them again.
- You may be eligible for an Old Age Security pension even if you live outside Canada, as long as you lived in Canada for at least 20 years after reaching the age of 18.