1. News & Issues
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Reporting Money to Customs at the Canadian Border

Customs Regulations for Reporting Money at the Canadian Border


There are no limits to the amount of money that you can bring into or take out of Canada. However, amounts of CAN$10,000 or more must be reported to customs at the Canadian border.

Failure to report amounts totalling CAN$10,000 or more may result in seizure of the money and penalties of CAN$250 to CAN$5000.

If you are carrying a total of CAN$10,000 (or its equivalent) or more - in coins, domestic and foreign bank notes, securities such as travellers cheques, stocks and bonds - you must complete a Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report - Individual Form E677 (in PDF). If the money is not your own, you should complete Form E667 Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report - General (in PDF). The form should be signed and handed to a customs officer.

Completed forms are sent to the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC) for assessment and analysis.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.