1. News & Issues
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Registration of Canadians Abroad

Register with Foreign Affairs Canada When You Travel Abroad


Updated: 12/20/2013

If you're Canadian and planning on travelling or living abroad, take advantage of the Registration of Canadians Abroad service provided by Foreign Affairs Canada.

The registration is used by the Foreign Affairs department to contact Canadians with urgent advice and information in the case of an emergency, or to inform them of an emergency at home.

You can register online or by contacting a Canadian government office abroad which offers consular services.

Note:  If you registered with the service before November 12, 2013, your account is temporarily unavailable online until the Spring of 2014 as the department makes improvements to the system. In the interim, you can make changes to your account and add information about new trips by sending an email to

For more information on countries with potential problems, it is also a good idea to check the Foreign Affairs Canada Country Travel Advice and Advisories page.

More Information on Canadian Travel

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.